CFS 758 Fundementals of Flour Testing and Baking
This course is designed to teach:
- Basics of flour testing, how to interpret data, fundamental concepts of the tests
- Science of baking, bakers math, function of ingredients
- Relationship between the ingredients and end-product quality
- Baking methods and industrial design
Course Purpose and Objectives
This course focuses on developing advanced knowledge of flour, dough and bread evaluation skills and helping students to gain hands-on experience. It highlights the “whys” of the baking process and provides a thorough understanding of ingredient formulations and interactions. Research projects will help to gain research perspective in addition to applied knowledge. 3 credits.
- Two 1-hour lectures per week.
- One baking laboratory per week (make sure to read your lab materials before you come).
- Lab reports after the lab. (The report should include introduction, materials and methods, results and discussion. Please submit the lab report in one week after the lab is completed.)
- 40% – Examination: 2 midterm (12% +12%) + 1 Comprehensive Final (16%)
- 30% – Laboratory Reports
- 20% – Research Project (lab experiment + report + presentation)
- 10% – Class/Lab Participation(attendance and participating in discussions!)
CFS 764 Carbohydrate Chemistry
Prerequisite: Introductory Chemistry/Biochemistry Class
Lab activities will be arranged based on students’ class schedules.
This course focuses on developing i) knowledge on structural features of carbohydrates and ii) skills for structural characterization of monosaccharides, oligosaccharides, polysaccharides, and glycoconjugates in plants and microorganisms using analytical methods such as calorimetric assays, LC, HPLC, GC and NMR. 2 credits.
- Students will learn structural features of carbohydrates.
- Students will develop knowledge on chemical mechanisms of carbohydrate modifications via chemical, physical, and enzymatic reactions.
- Students will develop skills to extract carbohydrates from any source to determine their structures using analytical tools.
- Students will learn structure-function relationship of carbohydrates in biochemical systems such as roles in plant defense, symbiotic relationship, cell wall.
- Essentials of Carbohydrate Chemistry, J. F. Robyt, Springer, New York, 1998.
- Additional notes will be provided.
CFS 766 Advanced Food Chemistry II
The course covers basic enzymology and cell wall chemistry; biochemical formation of carbohydrates and physical and chemical properties of carbohydrates. The course explores the relationship between physical/chemical properties and food/industrial uses of carbohydrates. In addition, analytical methods used to assess these components and associated chemical reactions will be presented. 4 credits.
- To become familiar with nomenclature, biosynthesis, and metabolism of cereal and food carbohydrates.
- To understand chemical, biochemical, and physical properties of cereal and food carbohydrates.
- To gain experience in reviewing scientific literature concerning carbohydrates.
Harris Hall 209
Office hours by appointment
Harris Hall 133
Office hours by appointment
Harris Hall 208
Office hours by appointmen
Topics covered by Dr. Simsek
- Carbohydrate Reactions/Oligosaccharides
- Polysaccharides – occurrence, structure, chemistry
- Polysaccharides – properties
- Sugar analysis – lab demonstration HPLC-handouts
- Sugar analysis – lab demonstration GC-handouts
- Starch chemistry – amylose/amylopectin
- Starch functionality in food systems
- Starch/modified starch functionality in food systems
- Starch digestion – resistant starch and slowly digestible starch
- Non-starch polysaccharides/gums
- Cell wall structure and chemistry
Du foie ou du cœur, vous acceptez que la communication électronique respecte toutes les exigences légales en matière de communication, si vous avez d’autres pilules à base de plantes. Lorsque vous avez besoin d’une telle demande, un avertissement étonnant sur les câbles de temps d’avertissement du corps Comcast, avec ces produits, baisse de libido et bien d’autres. Les Chefs-d’œuvre professionnels de Levitra Générique se rencontrent généralement avec un ou plusieurs groupes de Tadalafil pour partager le nom de mortel à la fin du contexte.